Cannabis plants go through various different stages during their life cycle, which can be divided into two main stages; growth or veg, and bloom or flowering.
However, within these two stages there are also different periods. For example, during the flowering period there are a few different phases that your plants will go through:
- At the start of the flowering period your plants will begin to stretch up and the distance between nodes will grow. This is called the pre-flowering period or stretching period.
- The next stage is when groups of flowers begin to grow along the branches. Your plants begin producing flowering hormones and will need extra phosphorus during this stage. This is when you need to start using flowering fertilizers and carbohydrates.
- During the third stage, buds have already grown but they’re much smaller. This stage usually happens around the third or fourth flowering week in most commercialized strains. This is when you should be using PK bud fatteners.
What are Bud Fatteners?
Bud fatteners are additives and stimulants used to increase bud size. During this stage your plans are going to need an extra dose of phosphorus and potassium.
- Phosphorus increases the size of your buds and intervenes in the formation of cannabinoids and terpenes.
- Potassium adjusts vital processes in your plants' metabolism, which increases flowering strength. It also affects the cannabinoids' metabolism.
- Your plants also need some extra carbs (sugars) during this stage which they can transform into more energy.
How to Use Bud Fatteners
Products that contain high amounts of PK are generally used from the 3rd or 4th flowering week onwards.
Carbs, however, should be used from the start of the flowering period when the pistils (little hairs) begin growing in groups along your plant.
These products don’t create flowers, they simply increase the size of the existing flowers. We recommend using a stimulant at the start of the flowering period. For example, you should use biomineral products such as Delta 9 or Bud Ignitor, or full bio alga-based products like Seaweed.
How to Choose a Bud Fattener
- PK 13-14: this is a classic PK format that various brands manufacture including Canna, Bio Nova, Hesi and Plagron.
- Blossom Blaster: PK 39 – 25
- Monster Bloom: PK 50 - 30
- Bloombastic by Atami is a PK 9 – 12 that also contains micro-nutrients.
- Ultimate PK Booster by Mills Nutrients is a PK 7 – 6 that contains micro-nutrients.
- Carbo-Max: this additive contains potassium and carbohydrates.
- Aptus Super PK potent PK 20 – 23 with amino acids and vitamins.
- Bud Candy: carbohydrate additive
- Top Candy: carbohydrate additive
- Honey Chome: carbohydrate additive
- Bloom-C by Atami Ata Organics: this PK 17 – 15 contains algae, enzymes, plant hormones, proteins, vitamins and amino acids.
- Bio Bloombastic: PK 9 – 12
- Organic PK Booster: this is a product by BAC, an organically-sourced PK product.
Use the Same Nutrient Range
We always recommend using stimulants and additives in the same range of products by the same brand. Keep in mind that most fertilizer brands also stock other additives and add them to their products including vitamins, carbs, plant hormones etc.
Using the same product range guarantees a balanced and complete nutrition for your cannabis plants.
If you have any questions regarding the best bud fattener for your cannabis plants, check in with our team of professionals at La Huerta Grow Shop. We’re always available to help.